Thursday, March 29, 2012

Let's Focus on the Real Problem Here, Shall we?

Global warming? Killing animals? Feeding third world countries? World peace?

These are good issues to think about and worry about, but right now, in this moment, they aren't nearly as severe as the issue blossoming out into our society everyday.

Overpopulation.

Yeah, I know, I covered this before with Robert Kunzig's NatGeo article, but that was solutions to the problem in other countries. Now I'm talking about the issue in general. Overpopulation.

So the actual article I read for my English class was by a man named Boris Johnson. Him and I have the same views about overpopulation. That view is that overpopulation should be a number one priority. The problem is that this issue isn't even on the top ten list of "Issues that America and the Rest of the World Has to Solve". By the way, that's not a real list, I'm just being facetious. The argument for overpopulation has changed over the years. It was a budding topic early on, when people first got into demographics and all that jazz. But over the years, this topic has become almost banned. People don't want to talk about stopping the procreation of human beings because it might save their lives.

I'm Catholic, I'm all for procreation, but I would rather live healthy lives, then be corraled on this continent by the amount of people present. I mean, one day, it could be almost claustrophobic.

It seems that people, governments, and countries might have just given up on population control. It seems that way, but I'm sure there's a few people that are still willing to help keep it under the radar. In America, Johnson says that he thinks that both parties, (Right and Left wings) have reasons for disconcerting the issue of overpopulation. Pushing aside this issue allows them more time to go for things that aren't so overreaching. I guess our country has tried in recent years to do population control, but there's a difference between "forcing" and "encouraging". At least in my opinion.

The main source of support for the overpopulation issue that isn't being utilized are teenagers. Teenagers are flexible in their beliefs. They love standing up for what is right. Take the Invisible Children. On my Facebook, so many kids have shared pictures and videos and all sorts of advertisements for this organization, some of them not even fully knowing what it is but to jump on the bandwagon. If teenagers like myself, can take the time to post stuff about one organization and it catch like wildfire and spread over the entire planet, why can't overpopulation do the same thing? If teenagers participated in helping to come up with solutions for overpopulation, adults in other age groups might  be more willing to help.

Just a though for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment